Thursday, December 19, 2013

Vegan GF Choconana Bread

Vegan AND gluten free?? Yes indeed!

Recently we had a friend staying over who couldn't eat dairy, eggs, nuts, or gluten. Being the baker that I am I wanted to still make something for her to eat while she was visiting. I decided to try my hand at making a gluten free vegan banana bread (just wasn't sure what to put in it...).

I decided just to experiment with the ingredients I had that weren't any of the items she was allergic too and see how it turned out. Spoiler Alert: it was amazing! (I mean seriously yum)

Even though I was a bit hesitant about using olive oil in a sweet baked good (yeah olives and bananas don't usually go well together..) it actually turned out super moist and tasting surprisingly like actual banana bread. In my original recipe I didn't use chocolate chips because those have dairy and soy products in them but when I made it again for just my husband and I, we had some dark chocolate chips laying around so I decided to throw them in (great decision by the way,  dark chocolate makes everything ten times better).

The name Choconana Bread was thought up by one of our other friends who we shared this little loaf with (thanks for that Jennifer).  :)



Vegan GF Choconana Bread

Preheat oven to 350 F, grease a bread pan (5x8)

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas (mashed)
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup olive oil (or any other type of oil you prefer)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3 cups gluten free oat flour (or a mixture of coconut and almond works too)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
In a large bowl, mash the three bananas together (I usually just do this with a fork). Next add in the vanilla, coconut sugar, oil, and coconut milk. Mix together throughly. Add in the cinnamon and mix well. Then, add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix completely but do not over mix. Last, add in the chocolate chips and make sure they are evenly mixed and distributed throughout the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan and place in the oven on the middle rack for 45 - 50 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out of the middle clean. Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and feedback! :)