Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mushroom Cranberry Balsamic Noodles with Lemon Zest and Chili

Being creative and trying out new flavor combinations is always a fun experience. Even more so when the combinations turn out pretty awesome. Tonight's dinner consisted of familiar flavors that I had never previously tried together.

I love pasta noodles and finding a good gluten free brand has been interesting. I first tried pasta made with rice and never really enjoyed the flavor or how soggy they always ended up getting. I then tried buckwheat but didn't really care for those either. Quinoa and corn have been my favorite so far. I try not to eat too much corn and try not to eat too much quinoa either (for some reason both of these give me indigestion if I have them frequently). It's always nice to have pasta every once in a while and so tonight I went with SamMills 100% Corn Pasta (the spaghetti kind). I like them because they are GMO free (at least that is what the bag says so I am choosing to believe it :)).

I hope you enjoy this yummy new recipe! Let me know what you think on the comments below! :)


Mushroom Cranberry Balsamic Noodles with Lemon Zest and Chili

Bring water to boil in a medium size pot

Ingredients:

Pasta:
1/2 bag of spaghetti noodles
2.5 quarts of water
a pinch of salt

Mushroom Cranberry Sauce:
1 container of mushrooms (washed and sliced)
1 medium onion (peeled and diced)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp chili pepper flakes
the zest of 1 lemon
a pinch of saffron flakes

Directions:

Bring water to a boil and add in the pasta (let cook for about 7 minutes at a rapid boil and stir occasionally), when pasta is done, drain in sink and set aside.
In a medium size pan place on burner and turn the stove up to medium heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic, and mushrooms, let them sauté for 5 minutes. Then add in the balsamic vinegar, honey, and spices. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add in the pasta and mix completely so that the sauce and veggies cover the pasta noodles. Add in the lemon zest and mix again. Place in bowls and add a little more zest if you want for garnish and some extra chili flakes, or just serve as is.

(as a side dish I made some steamed broccoli and didn't put anything else on them..other than steam... :))









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and feedback! :)